Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teachable Moments

Last week when the girls and I were at the grocery store, we had a teachable moment. The man sacking our groceries was "special". His face was distorted and his voice was a little different. Taylor did a great job saying Hi to him and being very sweet. He was a very nice man. As soon as we walked away with our groceries, Taylor turned to me and pulled her face to look like the sacker and asked me why he looked like that. I got her to stop pulling on her face and told her we would talk about it in the car. Thankfully she stopped and we talked about it in the car.

We talked about how God made everyone different and some people even look different. You have to love a childs innocence. She then told me that he was a nice man and I told her that just because people look different doesn't mean that they aren't nice. I also told her that we are always nice to everyone no matter what - whether they look different then us or if they are not always nice to us. She seemed to understand what I was saying. Then her 3 year old attention span kicked in and she informed me that daddy's (Nathan) hair was getting long. I have no idea where that came from!

No comments: